Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Living versus Writing


Dear Readers:

I have had a tremendous summer so far and sharing with you some of these experiences is important to me. As I embarked on my intense estival journeys, I imagined that I would update you at least every few days on my various adventures and happenings, along with any insights that I gained along the way. But in fact, I kept a very busy schedule with not a lot of time for leisurely relaxation or even reflection. Instead, the intellectual process will effectively take place in the coming weeks, and the task at hand is to meditate on the past couple of months. What did I learn and how can I effectively convey my experiences into something more meaningful that goes beyond a personal level? How can I translate these empirical endeavors into my pedagogical practice and as it relates to my writing? So with these questions in mind, the objective will be to analyze these past occurrences and frame them in their proper context. This may seem like a vain exercise, but I have come to realize that I am not the best of multitaskers, and I am perfectly aware that admitting such a thing in our advanced technological age is practically heresy. However, I have discovered that I can either live life very intensely, or I can seclude myself in order to write and create. Recently, while reading a blog that I faithfully follow, Theodora Goss shares a very similar idea. In her July 4th blog post "Being in London," she explains that: "In order to contemplate, to gather myself together, to write. I think you can live or write, and if you’re living as intensely as I did last week, wandering everywhere, it’s very difficult to write. So that’s what I’m going to be doing over the next year. This is my summer of living intensely, a summer that’s teaching me so much. And then, I will withdraw into myself and see what I can create." Goss's reflection and acceptance of the complexity of the writing process itself gives me the courage to continue albeit the lentitude of my production and the spirical path that I usually take. Below are a few pictures that share some of the excitement and elation I experienced; hopefully this serves as a teaser for you to continue reading my blog!

Le 14 juillet 2012!!

Avec mon amie Rosana pendant le 14 juillet! Vive la France!


I do appreciate the time you have dedicated to reading my blog, and I ask you to consider following my blog. If you look on the left hand side of the blog, you will see a link that says "Join this Blog". I would truly appreciate your support!!

Best,
Sylvia 



1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading your future posts, Sylvia. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete