Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice

I love marking the changing of the seasons.  This may seem odd if you take into account that I live in Houston.  Houston really does not have the typical four seasons; in fact, you could say that the regional climate is characterized by extreme heat and then a mild winter.  Still, there are days that characterize either Summer, Autumn, Winter, or Spring. Our very pleasant winter, however, fast forwarded to Summer more than a month ago.  The days have been so frightfully unpleasant that it seems silly to say that today is the first day of Summer.  But in fact, today is Litha.  According to Beyond the Fields We Know, "Midsummer, the Summer Solstice or Litha [is] also called Alban Hefin, Sun Blessing, Gathering Day, Feill-Sheathain Vestalia or St. John's Day... It's the longest day of the year, the day on which the Sun is at its zenith (highest point) in the northern hemisphere and seems to stand still for a brief intensely shining interval before starting down the long slope toward gold and russet autumn, and further beyond to winter." Generally, I despise the hot and humid weather of the Houston Summer, and I tend to grumble a great deal about it. I constantly wish to be in a cooler city and enjoying a much more pleasant climate.  This is still the case; I cannot really say that I have had a change of heart.  The muggy weather tends to make me equally unpleasant, but this year I am making an effort at least to not verbalize a negative attitude.  Every season, even if it is not our favorite, serves a purpose.  Every climate allows for life in a particular habitat to blossom and grow.  With the sun at its peak, I am reminded that I must see this moment as an opportunity, rather than as an obstacle.  The longest day of sunshine should serve as a symbol for enlightenment; an opportunity from nature to accomplish more and to feel energized.  Let the Summer Solstice mark the day that will brighten my path this Summer on my quest to write and be creative! What will you do to let the rays of creativity illuminate your own path? (Image is from artmagick.com; the work is by Alejandro de Riquer, Spanish, 1856-1920, The Four Seasons (Summer). Click on The Four Seasons - Summer for more details.)

No comments:

Post a Comment